Hi Rowan,

If you're in a shared hosting, you can't "simply" remove the configuration
variable.
Relying on extensions or configuration flags to support core language
features is very bad. We don't have flags that can turn IF support off for
example, why we would have that for annotations?
I can bring more cons if you want... like how/when to parse "use" calls in
a docblock? I mainly want to address the need of this class:
https://github.com/doctrine/annotations/blob/master/lib/Doctrine/Common/Annotations/TokenParser.php

I've exhausted to death pros and cons of every single part. The biggest
problem of not realizing this is a core feature and pushing so hard to
docblock is that as soon as this is blinded to some people, others will say
"oh, so that doesn't need to be in core and can be a PECL extension". Now
re-read my email from the beginning about shared hosting, you just entered
in an infinite loop.