I think I've caught up on everything discussed now.

One thing I would like to point out, when people have searched for
"legitimate uses" of mt_rand(), you should have been looking for
legitimate uses of mt_srand() - this is the functionality that will be
broken.

On 16 June 2016 at 03:21, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are ways to achieve what you want in a nice way while not breaking
> things. Let consider them.
>
> Cheers,
> Pierre

So what would you suggest? mt_rand_mode() with constants for correct
and legacy? (defaulting to correct, and a single fcall for users to
get the old behaviour back)