On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 20:22, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 20:10, Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > I would be interested to hear your thoughts on these suggestions.
> >

> I encourage you to work on them. Or anyone else who cares to. And the
> sooner there is concrete alternative proposal the better.

Hi Dan,

The purpose of the two week discussion period for RFCs is so that we can
work together to improve them, not so that people can independently work on
overlapping proposals.

>  But in the meantime, I think this RFC is an improvement on the current
> situation.

As I said, I have tried to measure the proposal against its stated aim: to
prevent disruption of the mailing list. In its current form, I do not think
it will achieve that aim.

> Although I agree with the action of removing those people, there were
> no clear rules, or people who could 'officially' tell those people
> "your behaviour is being disruptive". This RFC at least provides a
> framework for that.

Your proposal provides neither clear rules, nor clear authority, and indeed
goes out of its way to avoid both, with an open definition of "disruptive
behaviour" and a careful avoidance of the word "moderator".

In some extremely rare cases there is consensus that a ban is clearly
warranted; in such cases, any vote would be a formality. It would feel more
legitimate than a "dictatorial" decision, but the situation arises so
rarely it would make very little difference to the general tone of the
community.

In any other case, a vote under this proposal would be extremely
contentious, and is likely to result in more disruption than it removes.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]