Hello,

    >> Any suggestions how to debug this?

    Tuomo> Try attaching gdb (--pid=`pidof ion3`) to the running process from
    Tuomo> this xterm and do a backtrace to check where Ion is and if it really
    Tuomo> is hung. It could be waiting for events from X... I think such an 
    Tuomo> X or Xlib bug was diagnosed on the IRC channel some time ago.

Here is the backtrace
 ,-----
 | #0  0xb7e2c9f8 in select () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
 | #1  0xb7f25ea2 in _XPollfdCacheDel () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
 | #2  0xb7f26e11 in _XRead () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
 | #3  0xb7f27973 in _XReply () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
 | #4  0xb7f22db4 in XSync () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
 | #5  0x08058acf in clientwin_get_transient_for ()
 | #6  0x08058ed2 in ioncore_manage_clientwin ()
 | #7  0x0805c646 in ioncore_handle_map_request ()
 | #8  0x0805c54f in ioncore_handle_event ()
 | #9  0x0807615f in hook_remove_extl ()
 | #10 0x0807622c in hook_call_alt ()
 | #11 0x08076348 in hook_call_alt_p ()
 | #12 0x0805697c in ioncore_x_connection_handler ()
 | #13 0x080569de in ioncore_mainloop ()
 | #14 0x08056479 in main ()
 `-----

What does it translate to?  Some subtle timing problem that did not
surface with earlier ion snapshots?  Should I start ion3 earlier or
later in the session?  Currently I do:

 ,-----
 | LANG=en_US.UTF-8; export LANG;
 | xmodmap  ~/.keymaps/R40
 | 
 | CVS_RSH=/home/upf/bin/sshS PATH=~/bin:$PATH emacs -geometry 80x49+0+0&
 | xautolock -time 3 -corners 0+0- &
 | xset r rate 200 40
 | unclutter &
 | fetchmail -d 300
 | while ( true) ; do
 |     sleep 5;
 |     ion3
 | done
 `-----

Clumsy, I agree.

Ulrich Pfeifer

Reply via email to