Hi Erik, I'll pick the gauntlet, with great care :-)

Erik Nordmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > When other than Ethernet link layers are involved, probably the
> > functionality of the u/g bits can be derived from the 8bit prefix?
> > Maybe it's the 8bit prefix that should be tweaked to obtain the
> > reservations proposed?
>
> Do you have a concrete proposal?

You seem to imply that the u/g bits are there not because of Ethernet,
then I can observe that:

universal bit =1 has similar meaning to Prefix =001
group bit =1     has similar meaning to Prefix =1111 1111

Many other prefixes are unassigned and as such can serve the purpose
of about anything.  For example, Prefix 010 could mean randomly
generated Interface ID's.

When doing this, I think it would be good to extract the commonalities
of the usage scenarios of the current proposals, see how they fit the
current Prefixes and what are the additional criteria needed to
classify them.

For example, how can one classify a randomly generated Interface ID
and a Cryptographically Generated Address?  Random IID serves privacy.
CGA serves authentication of something.  Both are security, BUT random
IID also serves certain types of L2's, nothing to do with security.
Both are global unicast and are not group.

Since I find the classification difficult I think I'll refrain from
proposing anything serious.

What do you think?

Alex