Steve Deering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The u bit in the current IID definition indicates whether or not the
> IID can be considered globally unique.

I'm trying to fit the IMEI into one of:

      Links or Nodes with IEEE EUI-64 Identifiers
      Links or Nodes with IEEE 802 48 bit MAC's
      Links with Non-Global Identifiers
      Links without Identifiers

and I can not fit into any, since it looks than an IMEI is global but
is neither an EUI-64 identifier, nor an IEEE 802 48 MAC address.
However, the link can not be considered as a link without
identifiers[*].

IMEI being global I'm tempted to touch the u bit (universal/local).

IMEI has nothing in it that could influence the g bit
(individual/group), but further investigation is necessary probably.

Alex

[*] or can it?  I guess that phones have IMEI's but their peers at the
    other end of the link (GSNS/SGNS) don't.

  When trying to
code other identifiers into Modified EUI-64, I wonder whether the
individial/group bit should also be set/reset, in addition to the
universal/local bit.

Also, why EUI-64 was adopted as basis and not any other?  I understand
that this easily covers 802 LAN's, but why not something more agnostic
like

If it was chosen
as the preferred coding for Interface ID's for global unicast
addresses, and as such as an umbrella for other identifiers, was

I understand that
Modified EUI-64 is to be used with all global unicast addresses

  The zero value (implying *not*