I do understand it exactly and you are 100% correct.

Lets do some testing.

/jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Hain [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 5:19 PM
To: 'Charles E. Perkins'
Cc: 'Pekka Savola'; 'Nick 'Sharkey' Moore'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Optimistic DAD draft ...

inline

It seems like this would be a bigger latency concern than DAD.

> If the determination about the
> destination network is available in time, completing
> DAD before switching is a good idea -- whether or
> not the handoff is "break-before-make".

Maybe I just don't understand the technology well enough, but I from my
limited perspective it would seem that the current GGSN would know which
radio system the MN was attached to, and therefore could figure out the
candidate set of destinations for a hand-off. That list could be
forwarded to the MN, so personal policy and signal strength could be
applied to sort the list to come up with the best candidates. With that
an out of band predictive DAD could be done. This would make much more
sense than moving, stepping on an existing node, then backing off. It
seems that a little bit of overhead traffic is better than dropping 2
connections.