From: Alper E. YEGIN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 5:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Pekka Savola'
Cc: 'Nick 'Sharkey' Moore'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Optimistic DAD draft ...

> > > True, but the term 'hand-off' implies a make-before-break process,
> > > else the MN is just establishing itself on a new link. Given it
has
> > > the opportunity to be aware of multiple links, it can
> > decide when to
> > > switch. I am arguing that it complete DAD 'before' it makes that
> > > decision, not after.
> >
> > I don't think we can consider all "handoffs" as
> > 'make-before-break'. There exists some link-layer
> > technologies that allow this, but not all have such capability.
>
> Then DAD latency should be the least of the concerns.

Not really. For example 802.11b (link-layer) handover can take something
like 200ms, and DAD would take 1sec on that link.
People are already working on shrinking link-layer handover latency, and
some should do the same for DAD as well.

> > Completing DAD before handover requires either movement
> > anticipation or make-before-break, both of which are not
> > widely applicable. Therefore solving DAD latency for general
> > case is a valid approach, imo.
>
> My argument is that all MNs anticipate movement, and establish DAD
> before they really make the move. Yes this will generate some overhead

> if the node doesn't move, but that is a minor cost in the grand scheme

> of things.

We cannot assume all MNs can "anticipate movement". Not all link-layers
have this capability.

alper