> At Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:20:54 +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> >     This is tunnel vision.  The only reason that no one expects
> >     them in the DNS is that we havn't added support for them
> >     in the DNS.
> >
> >     I think LL (and SL) should be in the DNS.  Doing this actually
> >     simplifies things.
>
> Only if you then revise all the application programs to let you
> specify the scope ID that provides the context for the name, whether
> the scope ID is represented as a DNS name or not.
>
> Please think about this for a minute.  It's bad enough for
> applications that are driven by a human who can type or click or
> whatever from a list of possible scopes, but what do you do for
> programs like MTAs?  If you're longing for a return to the days of
> fee!fie%foe@fum email addresess (or even [EMAIL PROTECTED]#Chaos),
> you're on the right road.

        No Rob.

        I'm talking about 1 name with multiple addresses being
        returned in multiple scopes.  I'm taking about having
        getaddrinfo() then filter out the inappropriate addresses
        using local knowledge and setting sin6_scope_id.
        This deals with 99.9% of address lookup.

        It allows you to have your printer in the DNS with SL and
        LL address and look it up by name (getaddrinfo()) without
        having to implement two faced DNS.  It also allows you to
        lookup a remote print spooler with a only the GA's returned
        again by getaddrinfo().

        If you want to see all the address which are outside your
        local scope you would do raw lookups or we could come up
        with an API that returned all the addresses with the
        scope information.  sin6_scope_id is local to the machine
        so getaddrinfo() is not appropriate for this case.

        See Message-Id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        for details.

        Mark