Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> >In IPv6 every enduser should have enough IP's simply
> >because of the simple rule [...]
> >
> >Nevertheless customers should never have any need whatsoever for NAT.
> >If there once is a need for it IPv6 'failed' as it didn't get up to
> >the primary need for IPv6: More addressspace so that
> everything can be
> >e2e.
>
> Unfortunately, there is another reason why enterprises use
> NAT that has not been addressed in IPv6:  provider independence.
>
> Enterprises do not want to be "held hostage" to a particular ISP based
> on their address usage -- they want it to be cheap to move
> between ISPs to gain rate advantages, and they don't want to be
adversely affected
> by ISP closures, mergers, etc.  By using internal addresses inside of
> their network, and using NAT to reach the global Internet, only a few
> systems need to be renumbered when ISP-provided global addresses
change.

These enterprises apparently don't want/require/need global
reachability for their hosts. Otherwise they would not NAT.
IMHO the real solution to this and some other problems we
are currently seeing in IPv6 is really one thing which
must be solved before anything else: IPv6 Multihoming

Another solution could be a good document outlining all
the problems along with possible solutions when a network
gets renumbered. IP renumbering isn't that much of a problem
but renumbering the configuration items which contain IP's is.

> So, if we don't come up with a way to allow
> provider-independent address
> allocation in IPv6, we will probably get IPv6<->IPv6 NAT.

We don't want PI because that would also imply a routingtable
explosion. PI thus is not the answer.

<SNIP>

> In the meantime, though, I wouldn't object to a statement in the IPv6
> node requirements that says that you MUST NOT translate source or
> destination addresses in forwarded packets...  even though I don't
> think that it will actually stop anyone.

I do agree for the fact that this would overcome a NAT.
But I see one quite legit reason for rewriting the
source/destination. Though it could quite probably be
solved in a different way: loadbalancers. A loadbalancer
can easily rewrite the destination IPv6 IP and then route
it to the destination back-end which won't notice that it's
held behind a loadbalancer. On outgoing the loadbalancer
rewrites the source IP to that of the loadbalancer. The
boxes behind the loadbalancer can simply be on a /64 which
is not routeable to the internet or even easier: link local
Thus the loadbalancer is simply a NAT which spreads incoming connects
evenly over the backends which are alive.

Note that I would really like to see a loadbalancer which
sports both IPv4 and IPv6, as this would make many sites
which actively use loadbalancers actually start providing
theirselves over IPv6.

Taking a, imho, good application like the above in view
NAT should not be forbidden...

(Then again, the loadbalancer could just also have all the
backends configured with the global IP and just forward the
packets to the correct box... hmmm ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen