From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Pekka Savola
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: why market picked up NATs [Re: Writeups on why RFC1918 is bad?]

Hi,

As I sent some thoughts on RFC1918 to the IAB, we had a short personal
discussion with Geoff, and he made a very good question:

"Why did the market pick up NATs and run so hard with them despite
 their evident complications and technical compromises?"

I made a few observations of my own, which I believe are not so
technical
(because I don't think picking NATs has been a very technical decision,
most of the times.)

This discussion -- while maybe off-topic, chairs please speak up if so -
-
may be relevant when considering whether there is something missing in
the
IPv6 protocol set.