On 17 okt 2003, at 6:29, Dan Lanciani wrote:

NAT is stiff competition--and it is the
incumbent, so being almost as good is nowhere near good enough. Moreover,
a single solution is appealing exactly because it is a single solution.
You have to take that into account even if it is irrational.

So what are you saying?

That we should give up on IPv6 because IPv4 w/NAT is so great that we don't need it?

Or that we should add NAT to IPv6?

I'm not buying. IPv6 is superior to IPv4 (with and without NAT) in many ways. The trouble with networking has always been that even poorly designed networks can work well so there is little incentive to do it right.

NAT was not as painful as it was supposed to be.
For most users, NAT was empowering. Anyone--even an insignificant residential
client--could hook up an entire network of their own.

But this entire network only enjoys a subset of the capabilities of a network connected without NAT. Application builders are bending over backwards to work within those limits, which costs time and money and isn't 100% successful.

But this discussion is moot as there is no requirement that IETF protocols are adopted by 100% of all internet-connected systems.

It would be interesting to take a poll of people whose ISPs do not offer
a globally routable IPv4 address

That is impossible as ISPs by definition offer access to the internet which means providing globally routable addresss space. So such an SP wouldn't be an _I_SP.

|will show that we will
|need well over 400 additional /8's to get a single address to 20% of the
|population outside the countries that already have one or more for 20% of
|theirs. This is for an HD ratio of 90% which is well in excess of the pain
|threashold documented in RFC3194.

That's 6.4 billion addresses, a little more than four times what we have available today, for no more than 1.3 billion users. Can someone please explain where the other 4 addresses per user go?