Tony,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> Note that p2p is not that unfriendly as of now. I just had a
>> look at one of the pieces of p2p I use at home; there are some
><                              ^^^
>> 230k users on the server I connect to,
>>                   ^^^^^^

> Tony Hain wrote:
> And the inconsistency with that statement is???

There is not any. Most p2p software relies on some kind of
(de)centralized infrastructure. Napster did, it was centralized, that's
how they shut it down. Even threedegrees does; even if you remove the
Teredo infrastructure there still is a centralized component: where is
the list of rooms kept?

P2p apps still need a mechanism to locate each other. This is even more
important with IPv6 where random scans to find who is running the same
app are doomed to fail because of the 64-bit IID.

What has changed since the Napster days is that rendezvous points are
now more distributed than they originally were. This has everything to
do with legal issues and nothing to do with technology. Nevertheless,
the best search results are still obtained when a few powerful machines
that can handle a large search table are available. The notion of p2p is
that _after_ two hosts found each other, they are able to talk directly
to each other without relying on any kind of infrastructure; p2p does
not mean "no infrastructure whatsoever". The infrastructure has nothing
to do with traversing NAT; for that one app I still have to open the
port in my router.

For your curiosity here is a screen shot:
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/emule.jpg

P2p does not only mean files either. I consider SIP a p2p app. Well,
even if in theory I could dial another SIP phone directly, I don't
(partly because dialing the IP address and port is ugly, partly because
the destination address might change). I use a centralized directory
service (http://www.pulver.com/fwd/index.html)

My point was, given the large numbers of people using such things,
joe-six-pack is now able to configure his Linksys to open the p2p app
port or the SIP port. The argument that NAT breaks things does not hold
water when I see 1.45 million users using the same p2p app at the same
time I am using it.

Oh, I have news for this WG too: out of these 1.45 million p2p users,
1.45 million do not give a rip to IPv6.

Michel.