On Thursday 30 October 2003 01:43, Soliman Hesham wrote:
>  > I quote yourself on a previous mail on this thread:
>  >
>  > "The problems of this assumption are discussed in section 3
>  > of Alain's draft. The draft suggests that this assumption
>  > should be removed from ND specs. Here is the suggestion:
>  > [snipped but it's read as..."remove" and "remove"...]
>  > This seems like a reasonable suggestion, any objections?"
>  >
>  > As I've already said, I think that on-link communications might
>  > be a useful thing to have.
>
> => Please specify a scenario that would not work
> if we remove this statement.
>
> The only one I know that wouuld not work is the one
> I mentioned earlier: one link, _no_ default router
> and different hosts are _manually_ configured with different
> prefixes. If you want that to work then configure
> the hosts with the same prefix. That way they all
> know that they're on the same link. If you know
> of something else that would break by removing this
> statement please describe it.

AFAIK, nothing else would break (fortunately).

I've already got an scenario, which is what you are
trying to break. Isn't that enough ?

Of course I can configure _manually_ the hosts ,
as well as configuring the IP address and the default route
(oops...why do people use DHCP ?)

IMO (and I'm not humble), I see that:

"Impact on destination address selection"

and

"Address resolution delays."

Are issues that could be fixed in other ways.

I will write a draft about how to solve these 2 issues without
killing the on-link assuption
(somethig like "draft-....-counter-onlinkassumption-00.txt"), though I can not
tell you when it will be ready.

Besides, if you know more issues, I will be glad to hear about them.

Regards.

--
JFRH