Hesham,

Host nodes should not be doing this?  We did not put this in ND for very
good reason. We want to reduce what Hosts no about prefixes and leave to
the stateless and stateful. Why do we want to put this into HOsts.  What
is the reason.  That is not below.

What problem is this addition trying to fix or solve?

I have read the draft below and believe the core issue is resolved.
What prefixes are supplied is in the system not the host or why not just
use DHCPv6?  I think we cannot and must not overrule the essential
meaning of the A and M bits.

In fact I suggest in additon to each member of this list a problem
statement be stated for each change to 2461.

thanks
/jim

xt
          describes the impacts of omitting a prefix option from
          an RA on movement detection for mobile nodes. RFC 2461
          does not require options to be present in every RA.

In case you haven't had time to look through the draft
here is the background info:

This issue raises the problem with omitting some prefixes
from an RA. The problem here is that 2461 says that a router may choose
to omit some prefixes from the RA to save BW (i.e. while the lifetime of
that prefix has not expired).
A mobile node might take this as an indication of movement (i.e. it is
no longer reachable on the CoA that was derived from the omitted
prefix). This may unnecessarily cause the
mobile node to send a binding update to the HA/CNs to indicate that its
CoA has changed.

The other problem is that a host has no idea whether an RA contains all
the prefix options that are valid on a link. Therefore, even if it sends
an RS it might still get an RA with an incomplete list of prefixes.

Suggested resolution:

- Introduce a new code (1) in the router solicitation
and advertisement. When a host sends an RS with code = 1
it requests that the RA include all prefixses valid on
that link. Similarly, when a router sends an RA with code=1
it means that the RA includes all prefixes valid on that
link. This way, a MN can confirm its mobility.

Comments?

Hesham