> => I should have described the scenario a bit better.
> This is a case where hosts need to know whether they have
> changed links or not. The only way we know that today is
> through the contents of the RA.

Thats a pretty good indication and definite detection at layer 3.

Just for clarification that is the MIPv6 R bit set so we are on same
page.

> Hosts today use the prefixes
> advertised (or not) as an input to the movement detection
> algorithm amongst other things.

The prefixes advertized should not be used that way.

The MN must use the R bit.

I do not support making MNs work by changing this in 2461.

MNs will not work at layer 3 until either ND with R bit, FMIP, or HMIP
is deployed.
That is life all have to deal with it.  Thats my position.

Or I do believe layer 2 notification works.

> There are different flavours
> of movement detection depending on how conservative an
> implementor wants
> to be. But in all those flavours, the prefix option (or absence
> of) may well trigger the algorithm.

That is a bogus assumption and inaccurate reading of the spec.  That is
what we call in an implmeentation ill-behaved code.  The L bit was never
mean't to do this and an implementor should not assume such things in a
spec to use or accept the penalty later.

> I don't have a strong opinion on whether this should go into
> 2461bis or not. But I do think that there is a problem.

What problem.  You don't like the ND R bit?

> Another consideration is how _real_ this problem is. Does
> anyone know of
> a router implementation that sometimes does not advertise
> all options to save BW ?

This is totally irrelevant.  The L bit is very clear and if offers one
or infinity prefixes is not the point of the technical interpetation
issue.  The L bit was not mean't as a feature for movement detection
ever.  Assuming that is a mistake.

>  > What problem is this addition trying to fix or solve?
>  >
>  > I have read the draft below and believe the core issue is
> resolved.  > What prefixes are supplied is in the system not
> the host or
>  > why not just
>  > use DHCPv6?
>
> => DHCPv6 can be used, but in order to trigger DHCPv6 a host
> needs to know that it has changed links. Otherwise it will be
> triggered unnecessarily.

You misread my comment.  I am not advocating DHCPv6 but was using
juxtaposition to point out that the L bit is key for what it does on the
link and that is not to support any form of movement detection but for
optimization of the link.  That is all.

>    I think we cannot and must not overrule the essential
>  > meaning of the A and M bits.
>
> => Agreed. We won't do that.

Good.

>  >
>  > In fact I suggest in additon to each member of this list a
> problem  > statement be stated for each change to 2461.
>
> => I'll try to cover that briefly in a "background" section
> when I send a suggestion to resolve an issue.

We went on this thread first thinking prefixes could be duplicated on
two links, now to reinventing what the L bit is and does.

But you did not respond to a very important issue in this mail thread.

The mechanism defined as standard (waiting for RFC) in MIPv6 ND
extension to address movement detection at layer 3 is the R bit for the
RA.  What I am hearing is some don't want to wait for that to be
deployed.  And we can use the end result of the L bit to do end run
around needing the R bit and I disagree.  This WG supported MIPv6 to use
the R bit and it will work.  Until that is deployed then MNs won't be
deployed.

Another issue is with L bit set and just one prefix is provided and MN
sees it then it knows it is hearing the RA thus a new link.  1+N
prefixes is irrelevant for movement detection.

Good discussion.
/jim