Hesham,

I realize hosts today "could" use prefixes from L bit being set to know
its on a new link. But that is not why the L bit is there.  The L bit is
there as an optimization to avoid an NS or direct send knowing it is
onlink and a fast path could be written to just move the packet to the
link-layer address.

The reason it is good to not use it is when one does not want to make an
annoucement of all prefixes on a Link and force NS's.  Let me give you
example.  911 Attack, Squad in Military Engaged Operation, or EMS
helping a victim with Wearable Medical Devices. In each case the entity
does not want to advertise those prefixes over a wireless, Satcom, or
cellular link.  Same for a shopper in a mall with GPS device locating
ones favorite perfume or firearm shop in the mall.

Regardless this L bit has a use and dependency and was not created for
mobility but for stationary nodes.  The R bit defined in MIPv6 solves
the problem below.  When the node reaches the link it will hear the new
RA with R bit set and new router prefix.  So what has to happen is MIPv6
routers have to be turned on to deploy.  But that is ok because without
MIPv6 routers MIPv6 won't work :--)

But if one insists inform links that are supporting MIPv6 to just set
the L bit with policy admin and that fixes it too.

Help me here I think this is pretty basic stuff :--)  This is not a flaw
in 2461 but a good feature and I like it and want to use it as is and
don't want L bit as default.

/jim

He said my name is Private Andrew Malone
if you're reading this then I didn't make it home
but for every dream that's shattered another one
comes true this car was once a dream of mine
now it belongs to you
and though you may take her and make her your own
you'll always be riding with Private Malone
- David Ball
www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm