> >>    my suggestion is to leave it SHOULD.
> >you didnt justify why. makes no sense on an unprotected network.
>
>       i did.  you did not quote my previous line.
>
> >>    agree completely.  if you allow enemy to be on-link you are
dead.
> >>    my suggestion is to leave it SHOULD.
>
>       this is just like physical security; if you allow people to
enter
>       computer room, security mechanisms are pertty moot as bad guys
can
> use
>       sledge hammer to break the computer.

Well, there are many networks that are open to the general public, for
example wifi networks at airports.

It is true that a bad guy on-link can do a lot of harm, some of which
can be alleviated by SEND. However, most of other attacks require a
constant stream of packets, and increase the risk that the attack will
be detected and traced. The recommendation to turn off the interface
amplifies the powers of this bad guy: they can kick someone off the
network with a single packet. In short, just because someone broke in,
there is no reason to hand her a sledge hammer.

-- Christian Huitema