It seems to me that "back to back" is ill-defined. It is highly unlikely that the ICMP error packets will be transmitted with no other transmissions in between, which "back to back" seems to imply. The burst allowance should probably be defined as "allowing a burst of N packets over Ts seconds", or something along these lines.

Also, there had been much discussion about how certain methods are lacking and should be omitted. I don't think any should be omitted - consider the possibility of combining all three methods to clamp the ICMP rate in different domains. In the presence of asymmetric bandwidth (consider ADSL), or asymmetric routing, the token bucket method can cause floods that would be prevented if the bandwidth method was used as an additional clamping mechanism.

Perhaps something like this should be mentioned in the text as well.

One other thing - "values greater than 20-30 might break traceroute" is stated with no explanation as to why, and it seems that 20-30 is an arbitrary number (with no explicit units) that will change in the future as bandwidth capacity increases. I agree with the sentiment of the statement, but think there should be some explanation as to how an implementor might compute this value (perhaps how the 20-30 was derived).

Zachary Amsden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi All,

As I sensed after all the discussion we had, the WG will prefer
to expand the text to prefer token-bucket method and describe
the limitations of the other two. If my conclusion is wrong,
feel free to scream :) Otherwise, here is the revised text.

Please review the text and let me know if we need to add/modify/correct anything. If you want something to be changed, please send me the new proposed text.

I couldn't decide what the correct default values of the parameters should be. So I haven't mentioned anything. If
anyone wants to add, please send me the values.

   (f) Finally, in order to limit the bandwidth and forwarding costs
       incurred sending ICMPv6 error messages, an IPv6 node MUST limit
       the rate of ICMPv6 error messages it sends.  This situation may
       occur when a source sending a stream of erroneous packets fails
       to heed the resulting ICMPv6 error messages. There are a variety
       of ways of implementing the rate-limiting function, for example:

        (f.1) Timer-based - for example, limiting the rate of
              transmission of error messages to at most once every T
              milliseconds.

        (f.2) Bandwidth-based - for example, limiting the rate at which
              error messages are sent from a particular interface to
              some fraction F of the attached link's bandwidth.

        (f.3) Token-bucket based - for example, allowing up to B back-
              to-back error messages to be transmitted in a burst, but
              limiting the average rate of transmission to N where N
              can either be packets/seconds or a fraction of the
              attached link's bandwidth.

       The limit parameters (e.g., T, F, B and N in the above examples)
       MUST be configurable for the node.

       Token-bucket based function should be preferrable over the other
       two.

       If Timer-based or Bandwidth-based function is chosen because of
       the simplicity of implementation, proper care must be taken in
       choosing the value of T or F.  Values of T that are higher than
       20-30 might break traceroute. A global value of F per node might
       not be appropriate for all the links attached to the node.