> This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the
>  IETF.
>
>       Title           : IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
>       Author(s)       : S. Thomson, et al.
>       Filename        : draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-02.txt
>       Pages           : 30
>       Date            : 2004-6-17

        i guess it is under WG last call, but i could not find the annoucement
        so i respond to this message.

        i have objection to 5.4.5 "when duplicated address detection fails".
        the text suggest that hardware-address-based linklocal address fails
        on DAD test, "the interface SHOULD be disabled".

        first of all, what does it mean by "disable interface"?  if the
        interface has IPv4 addess and IPv4 packets are going through the
        interface, should we kill IPv4 as well?  what about AppleTalk?
        does "disable interface" require hardware disabled (turn IFF_UP to 0)
        or only software?

        moreover, even when DAD test fails for hardware-address-based linklocal
        address, there are number of routes we can take:
        - try again with random-number-generated linklocal address
        - beep beep, call operator
        - etc

        suggested change: replace "the interface SHOULD be disabled" by the
        following:
                the link-local address should be marked as "DAD failed",
                and further autoconfiguration SHOULD NOT be performed based
                on the link-local address (such as generation of global address
                using the interface ID on the link-local address).
                Operators (or operating system) SHOULD be consulted to correct
                the situation.

itojun