Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
Are you able to put a rough date of manufacture on those cards/chipsets ? I've recently done a bit of looking into the chips
on the old NE2K style cards (the NatSemi NS8390D chipset), and even they have a multicast filtering capability. I first encountered them on NICs in 1992 (if not earlier, maybe 1990 or so), so I'm curious how much earlier before that multicast was implemented the way you have stated.

I think it's far more likely that Alexandru is running into broken drivers and/or bridges.

Yes, I'm running into a card that does not implement multicast for the "broadcast" packets and does not plan to either in the near future. It doesn't "promiscuous" either. So I'm only left with the option of the router sending RAs to all-ff instead of to 4-3s. Which I did, but which is non-standard by this RFC.

I've seen: 1) device driver bugs. either they fail to program the multicast filter or they try and get it wrong. A common multicast filter is a bit vector with associated hash function. (if filter[hash(dst)] is set, receive packet). If the driver miscomputes
the hash function, bits don't move.

Thanks. It's not the case here. The current code simply says /*TODO*/.

Many ethernet chipsets have a "receive all multicasts" bit, which at
 least saves you from the full pain of promiscuous mode.

Oh? I have to check that.

2) firmware bugs in 802.11 access points.  (the vendor had a firmware
 upgrade available fixing it by the time I noticed the problem).

Ok, that's an option, I'll have to wait and see.

Alex