> No one is suggesting DHCP is the "default address configuration
 > mechanism".  Let's *please* not go down that discussion path...

=> some parts of the discussion were hinting at that, that's
why I said "side note". I'm glad you're not suggesting that.

 > More comments in line.
 >
 > On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 14:50 -0400, Soliman, Hesham wrote:
 > > In some scenarios there is a danger in the following approach:
 > > - hosts boots
 > > - looks for DHCP server, doesn't find one
 > > - Keeps looking every couple of minutes
 >
 > A client is free to use some other timeout (2 hours instead of 2
 > minutes?) if it chooses.  See sections 5, 14 and 17.1.2 of
 > RFC 3315.  I
 > imagine standards bodies for specific environments (3GPP2?)
 > might well
 > mandate different retransmit timeouts, for example, to conserve
 > bandwidth or power.

=> It's unrealistic to assume that. An SDO might suggest that but
how does an implementation know it's in a 3GPP/2 or some other
wireless network, or even ethernet? An implementation might just
see a PPP driver or an ethernet driver. That says nothing about
the underlying technology.

 > > This leads to inefficient use of power and network resources
 > > in some wireless devices. A more efficient way to do things is
 > > to indicate in the RA whether the host should even try to find
 > > a DHCP server. I find the current description in 2461/2bis
 > > sufficient, dynamic and provides enough granularity to allow
 > > hosts to look for what they need (i.e. addresses or
 > "other" config).
 >
 > Yes, a bit indicating whether to expect a DHCP service at
 > all might be
 > useful ... although I, as an implementor, might be tempted to try the
 > DHCP service anyway in certain circumstances; suppose there are no
 > advertised prefixes from which to assign SLAAC addresses?

=> You can try, but my concern is about how often you're going to try.
If there are bits that say whether you should try or not and those
bits are not set (i.e. no DHCP server in the network), why would you try?

Hesham