No one is suggesting DHCP is the "default address configuration
mechanism".  Let's *please* not go down that discussion path...

More comments in line.

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 14:50 -0400, Soliman, Hesham wrote:
> In some scenarios there is a danger in the following approach:
> - hosts boots
> - looks for DHCP server, doesn't find one
> - Keeps looking every couple of minutes

A client is free to use some other timeout (2 hours instead of 2
minutes?) if it chooses.  See sections 5, 14 and 17.1.2 of RFC 3315.  I
imagine standards bodies for specific environments (3GPP2?) might well
mandate different retransmit timeouts, for example, to conserve
bandwidth or power.

> This leads to inefficient use of power and network resources
> in some wireless devices. A more efficient way to do things is
> to indicate in the RA whether the host should even try to find
> a DHCP server. I find the current description in 2461/2bis
> sufficient, dynamic and provides enough granularity to allow
> hosts to look for what they need (i.e. addresses or "other" config).

Yes, a bit indicating whether to expect a DHCP service at all might be
useful ... although I, as an implementor, might be tempted to try the
DHCP service anyway in certain circumstances; suppose there are no
advertised prefixes from which to assign SLAAC addresses?