In my personal view, networks like this are a fact of life. One frequently is handed things by disparate people with disparate budgets, responsibilities, and requirements. For example, perhaps IT provides the switch, the router is what the managed-service ISP installed several years ago and still works, and the servers are what the department bought for this nifty-keeno application they're in the process of installing.

Hence, path MTU is a question of what's on the path for a session, not something else.