Thanks so much for your prompt and thoughtful reply.  I do not quite
understand yet, though, so let me seek clarification.

I understand that privacy addresses are not for the link-local prefix,
but for address scopes greater than link-local.

I would like to be able to have an interface construct it's link-local
address using the EUI-64 method, but then configure a privacy address
for the prefix assigned to the link.  I would like this to work even if
I do not configure a greater-than-local-scope autoconfigured address
that would accept inbound connections.  I see now, writing this, that
without an RA, hosts with interfaces on the link would not know the
/64-bit prefix to use when constructing the global-scope (for example -
could of course be a ULA prefix too) privacy address.

So, let me revise my comment, focusing on requirements.

I would like the capability to have an interface construct a link-local
address via some mechanism (EUI-64 from MAC, as an example) as normal,
then configure a privacy address, all without autoconfiguring a
global-scope address from the RA being sent on the subnet (there would
be no valid or preferred global-scope addresses containing the MAC).
This interface would be harder to scan for from off-link, since the only
valid global-scope address would be a privacy address - no
autoconfigured address embedding FFFE or a small set of OUIs (there are
probably only a few hundred OUIs really in wide deployment) would be
configured on the interface.

This could be accomplished, I think, by allowing the node to passively
listen to RAs, to learn the valid /64 prefixes assigned to the link, and
then global-scope privacy addresses could be configured.  Perhaps the
node could allow a configuration option like "USE_PRIVACY_ONLY=yes".
Other interfaces on other nodes on the subnet could use
autoconfiguration, either with or without privacy addresses, as desired.

The result would be a privacy address that not only protected my privacy
for outbound sessions, but improved my stealthly-ness from off-link
attackers as well.

This is not supported today, I do not believe, but I think it would be a
valuable tool for administrators to have.  What is your opinion?

John Spence,
Command Information (HQ: Herndon VA)