RFC 791 (IPv4) Appendix B gives clear instructions on the byte
transmission sequence to be used in IPv4, both in the IP headers and in
the payload. Since RFC 793 (TCP) does not reiterate this info, my
presumption is that RFC 793 relies on RFC 791. Left to right byte
transmission sequence, big endian for binary quantities.

Checking into RFC 2460 (IPv6), I see no counterpart to RFC 791's
Appendix B, but I also see no mention of dropping this endianness
instruction intentionally, up in Section 1, where the changes wrt RFC
791 are summarized. Which now leaves a loose end wrt TCP and other upper
layers.

Browsing the I-Ds and other promising RFCs did not help (although I
didn't read all thoroughly). I checked RFC 1883 to see if perhaps
endianness was previously specified and then dropped.

Have I missed something, or was this info deleted because it's too
inflammatory?

Thanks.

Bert