> Why is solving the problems with a DAD change not a perfect solution ?
> The problems are serious enough for deployed codebase to change. It's
> not like we are asking to replace IPv6 hardware. It's a software change
> for deployed code base. Anyhow, Tatuya has already said most hosts he
> has tested with do not skip DAD. We have also tested hosts that do not
> skip DAD. So what codebase and what specific hosts/nodes are you talking
> about ?

        i'm very sorry, i think i did not do the homework hard enough.

        i reread the whole thread and i think your abstract on the i-d is
        a bit misleading.  from the word "new requirement" i read that (i guess
        between the line) there are code changes to the deployed codebase which
        implements DAD correctly.  the fact is that you are proposing changes
        to make DAD a MUST instead of SHOULD (from section 5 of your draft).

        jinmei (who is KAME colleague of mine as you know) is very careful guy
        and he cares about other careless implementations which skips DAD :-)

        i do not care about careless implementations unlike jinmei, however,
        i still think that your security model with "DAD is a MUST" is not
        perfect.

        yes, which DAD being MUST it would be a better world order.  however,
        because this is based on the assumption that all of the implementations
        would follow the RFC to secure the link, a clever attacker would get
        a freely-available IPv6 implementation, "#if 0" the portion which does
        DAD and steal traffic anyway (or implement something on BPF writes or
        raw IPv6 sockets).

        so, as i said, the only solution is either to pin-down MAC address
        cache (L2) or do some cryptographic dance (L3).  L3 stuff still require
        every node to cooperate, i think the only solution is in L2.
        CISCO can sell a lot of L2 devices with the feature :-P

itojun