On Jun 28, 2007, at Jun 28, 2007,1:14 AM, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

At Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:27:37 -0400,
Ralph Droms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One bug that may or may not be common is to make assumptions about
the prefixes on a link based on addresses assigned to an interface.
I can imagine (and I believe we've actually made a real sighting of
this scenario) that an IPv6 implementor might extrapolate IPv4
conventions and extract the /64 prefix from an assigned address
(either SLAAC, DHCP or manual config), and add a route to the host
table indicating that the prefix is on-link, regardless of whether
the prefix is advertised as "on-link" in an RA.

[...]

If the system administrator manually configures an IPv6 address with a
prefix length smaller than 128, the kernel will assume that the
corresponding prefix is on-link.  But I believe this should be
reasonable.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I see where draft-wbeebee-nd-implementation-pitfalls also mentions manual configuration as a special case:

   2.  The RA and ICMPv6 Redirects from the default router are the only
       sources of information for on-link determination.  DHCPv6 or any
       other configuration on the host MUST NOT be used for on-link
determination. Manual configuration of a host introduces its own
       set of security considerations and is beyond the scope of this
       document.

Is there some reason to believe the information about on-link prefixes should be implicitly overridden in the case of manual address assignment? I can understand explicitly overriding information from RAs by manually configuring the on-link information as a separate step from manual address assignment. But it seems to me that assuming the prefix from a manually configured address is on- link might cause unexpected loss of connectivity if the prefix does require off-link delivery through the router.

- Ralph