At Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:27:37 -0400,
Ralph Droms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One bug that may or may not be common is to make assumptions about
> the prefixes on a link based on addresses assigned to an interface.
> I can imagine (and I believe we've actually made a real sighting of
> this scenario) that an IPv6 implementor might extrapolate IPv4
> conventions and extract the /64 prefix from an assigned address
> (either SLAAC, DHCP or manual config), and add a route to the host
> table indicating that the prefix is on-link, regardless of whether
> the prefix is advertised as "on-link" in an RA.

FWIW, *BSDs do not have this "bug".

- the L and A bits of the RA prefix information option are clearly
  separated.  That is, creating an IPv6 address from a prefix
  information option (with A bit on) doesn't make the kernel consider
  the prefix on-link unless the L bit is also on.
- the WIDE-DHCPv6 client configures an IPv6 address with the prefix
  length of 128.  So, an IPv6 address created via DHCPv6 doesn't
  impose the incorrect assumption of on-link'ness either.

If the system administrator manually configures an IPv6 address with a
prefix length smaller than 128, the kernel will assume that the
corresponding prefix is on-link.  But I believe this should be
reasonable.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.