Hemant Singh (shemant) writes:
> Let's clear the air. I agree with Srihari's email on IPV6CP and new
> options.

So do I.  Those issues are just out of scope.

> Now let's see what the PPP interop issues are:
>
> The sender PPP node is ND compliant when it issues a unicast NS for NUD
> before sending any data. The PPP peer of this sending node has a bug as
> to why the peer is not responding with an NA? Let's focus on this
> interop issue rather than asking for 2461bis or PPP to be changed.

Agreed.  And unless there's text that supports this non-answering
mode, that certainly sounds like a bug to me.

I'm not sure that every implementation bug necessarily deserves to be
enshrined as normative "don't make this mistake" text in an RFC.  If
others (particularly those who are refusing to send NAs when
solicited) feel otherwise, then it doesn't bother me to have
additional "must respond" text as long as it doesn't muddy the rest of
the document by making it appear as though normal responses are
otherwise optional in other cases.

> It's an orthogonal issue to ask if one should change 2461bis that
> requires an IPv6 node to perform reachability detection before
> communicating with another node. As for any changes needed by PPP and
> IPV6CP, do note, DHCPv6 cannot be used for other options and addresses
> in PPP if the client is SLAAC.

It seems to work fine for me.  Set the RA 'M' bit to zero, the 'O' bit
to one, and the prefix 'A' and 'L' bits to one.  That gets me
interface addresses via stateless address autoconfiguration along with
configuration parameters (but not addresses) via DHCPv6.

In fact, RFC 3315 states (among many notes on interoperation):

   stateful autoconfiguration.  Compatibility with stateless address
   autoconfiguration is a design requirement of DHCP.

It seems to have been designed to work that way.  Why would it be
assumed not to work?