At Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:43:19 -0700,
Bob Hinden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We would like to get your comments on the following two choices:
>
> 1) Deprecate RH0 as specified in <draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt>.
>
> 2) Revising the draft to restrict the usage of RH0.  This would

If I were to choose one I support choice #1, but I can live with
choice #2 (but in that case just turning it off by default seems
sufficient to me).  The most important point for me is to make the
consensus as quick as possible rather than sticking to a super-perfect
solution and wasting more time.  So, if there are still a
non-negligible number of people who object to the deprecation while
the vast majority *can live with* off-by-default, I think we should go
for it.

Some detailed comments:

I prefer choice #1 because it looks cleaner resolution.  Also, since
(as far as I know) not so many people are heavily relying on RH0 right
now, I believe they can generally wait for new types of RH for their
specific purposes.

But at the same time, I guess getting new RHx deployed will take
pretty long time (e.g., one-year) realistically, especially due to the
infamous time-consuming standardization process at the IETF (I'm
afraid we're not even sure where to discuss the spec - apparently 6MAN
is not the place).  So it's understandable to me for those who prefer
choice #2 to oppose to the idea of hasty deprecation.  Thus I can also
live with choice #2.

I've heard an argument that off-by-default is not sufficient, but I
personally do not necessarily agree with that.  I stated my personal
opinion on this somewhere else before:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2007/05/20/0003.html
The argument that if the node is controlled by a remote attacker the
feature may be re-enabled is not convincing to me either because in
that case the attacker can do any other evil things including even
replacing the kernel implementation or running a user-space bouncer
application that has the same effect of RH0.  I'm not arguing I prefer
choice #2 by saying this, but choice #2 certainly works for me as a
compromise if that makes a quicker decision.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.