A message from your AD...

First, I would like to encourage the group to make a timely
decision on this issue, fix the specifications, and move on.
Not because this particular issue is somehow bigger or
more crucial than others (it isn't). But because we need
to deal with fixing bugs and security vulnerabilities
from our specifications in a timely manner so that corrections
actually end up in RFCs rather than staying in the
folklore of the Internet community for years :-)

And I would like to move on also because I know
there are other issues and bugs we need to deal
with in this WG and elsewhere. We will treat them
with the same careful, analytic approach to figure
out if there really is an issue and what the best way
to deal with it is. We are not affected by bloated
claims of how bad an issue is, but neither are we
neglecting our duty to correct an error if we see
one.

Let me also remind people that we are here to
make standards for the Internet, things that go
into all hosts and routers. Consenting parties
can go beyond these standards or choose to
implement additional standardized features. But
we need to be careful about how much we require
from a general Internet node, and be clear about
how widely a feature (or a fixed feature in this case)
is expected to be used when we make a decision
about it.

Finally, as someone who has personally allocated
a new RH type number (2) for his spec, I can
say that the experience was generally pleasant
and can be recommended for others -- nothing to be
afraid of if there is a need for it.

Jari