Hi Bob,
I would go for Option 1(deprecate), though I am not sure it is reasonable to assume people will "unimplement" the code for RH0 for already deployed implementations. Option 2 is also acceptable to me.

Thanks
Suresh

Bob Hinden wrote:
Hi,

After the reviewing the comments received during the working group last call on <draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt> and discussing it with our AD, the IPv6 w.g. chairs think it would be valuable to ask the question again. We want to make sure there continues to be a consensus for deprecating RH0 as specified in the current draft as opposed to restricting it's usage as was suggest in several of the last call comments.

We would like to get your comments on the following two choices:

1) Deprecate RH0 as specified in <draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt>.

2) Revising the draft to restrict the usage of RH0. This would continue to require RH0 to be implemented but would restrict the functionality of RH0. For example, require nodes to have support for RH0 turned off by default, limit the number of RH0 headers in a packet to one, limit the number of addresses in the RH0 to a smaller number (e.g., 6), and and a requirement that addresses can only be in the header once.

Please send your answer this question (including why) to the list or to the chairs directly. We will review the responses and report the results to the w.g. early next week. We are not trying to start a debate, but want to get a new measure of the consensus.

We note that if there continues to be a consensus for 1), then we will forward the draft to the ADs for proposed standard.

Thanks,
Bob Hinden & Brian Haberman
IPv6 w.g. Chairs