On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Tim Enos wrote:

Good point. This would be true even in the face of a company on the JP side and a company on the US side (of the JP-US link) agreed together to accept source-routed traffic from each other.

Just having the RH0 traffic transit the intervening ISP(s) would make the link susceptible to the attacks outlined in the draft.

Can you (and others) clarify your position on what you consider to be valid traffic? I do not work for a commercial ISP, so I'm trying to understand the current thinking / policy on this.

Suppose you have 4 providers, where A and B are in the US and C and D are in Japan (the B -- C link is the US-JP link).

A - B - - C - D

Assume A and D are interested in supporting source routing, but B and C are not. Further assume that, due to A and D's support for source routing, they are susceptible to the kind of oscillation DOS attack we have been discussing. The B - - C link is managed / protected by B and C - that is, they have ultimate control over what traffic transits this US - JP link.

In the event of an oscillation DOS attack between A and D, do B and C care that the traffic they are transiting is DOS traffic vs. other traffic? In other words, hasn't the capacity available to A (from B) and the capacity available to D (from C) already been arranged? If this capacity is consumed due to DOS, is it not A and D (and their customers) who pay the cost?

This is not to say we shouldn't think about the global aspects of resource use and DOS - I'm just trying to understand whether the approach to source routing requires a global consensus. Several recent comments seem to imply that it is unacceptable even to transit RH0 traffic (rather than simply choose not to act on RH0 headers) - have I interpreted this position correctly? If so, it would seem to have implications for both RH0 (as is being discussed) and any new source routing approach RHx.

Is DOS protection / mitigation an assumed (or explicit) service provided by ISPs to customers?

Thanks,
Dow