I see what your saying but for security if we know IKEv2 is superior then we I
think must mandate it and this is the case over IKEv1.  Fully supportive of
being conscious of the reality of pain to the market and vendors for
implementation but when it is a network health issue then we have to do the
next right thing in the IETF.  IKEv2 is clearly better.  Regarding management
of PKI etc that is a red herring argument orthogonal to the technical work on a
function in the IETF like IKEv2.  The market will sort out that deployment
automatiion issue we need to spec out and define technical criteria for a
specification.  Adding foot note that without PKI etc. this will not work well
is fine.  Thus if apples-x grown in region-x cause ones legs to cramp but
apples-y grown in region-y do not the social agency reporting on such things
has the responsibility to say apples-y do less harm to you than apples-x.  In
this specific case as a protocol the IETF is the social agency above.  But
 the market is requiring IKEv2 now and most vendors have figured out it is a
done deal if they want to maintain competitive parity in the market.

/jim