Tony,

> For those that have forgotten, the entire reason for mandating IPsec is to
> get away from the 47 flavors of security that are never really configured
> correctly or completely understood. Yes for any given situation someone can
> design an optimized protocol, but as soon as the situation changes the
> optimization no longer applies, and may expose unexpected holes. This was in
> fact happening at the time the mandate was put in.

Right.  Having one way to do things is far better than having 47.

But if we look at the reality of things, IPsec (and we have to include
IKE in evaluating this), IPsec just isn't the ideal one-size-fits-all
technology we'd like it to be.

For example, one big problem is the lack of a proper API for
applications to communicate with IPsec to select services and verify
that a certain level of security is present. Second, good security
says "don't trust anyone but yourself". So, do you trust the OS you
are running on? Do you trust the IPsec embedded in the system that was
implemented by a third party? Smart applications implement their own
security (e.g., TLS) to ease deployment. We'll never get them to rely
on IPsec, at least not until its much more widely available/useable.

There are other examples.

To channel Randy Bush:

>   o the net should have mandatory crypto period
>
>   o ipsec sucks

This is the dilemma we are in. Personally, I think we are exhibiting a
bit of head-in-the-sand mentality to continue saying IPsec is a MUST,
when we don't even bother include IKE! IPsec without key management is
useless except in very narrow deployment scenarios.

> As I recall we had a lengthy argument about this, and really don't need to
> reopen it now. If there is not a single mandatory-to-implement protocol,
> there is no way to assure that two random products will have a common means
> of secure communication.

Sure.

But I can also see lots of devices that (because of the mix of
applications/functionality of the device) simply won't use IPsec
becuase it doesn't make sense. Why MUST they  implement IPsec when it
won't actually get used?

If you look at reality, IPsec is not  the universal crypto suite. I
suspect the market has spoken.

> Alain's original post is completely bogus. If his devices don't need IPsec,
> he is free to tell his vendors not to load it in the image. That is not a
> reason to change node-requirements. He is in a closed environment and knows
> that a random device will not appear that doesn't speak the security
> protocol for that closed environment.

I agree with this as well. In the case of cable modems, Alain
shouldn't care about what node requirements says.

Thomas