Hi Jeff,

You are close but still not quite there.

OSPFv2 had some fields in all packets (LSA is not a packet but a
content in a packet) to send a Hash along with the packet for
authetication. It was not used in OSPFv3 because of the assumption
that all nodes will support ESP and the packets can anyway be
encapsulated in the ESP header.

This does not however anyway justify why AH should be made a SHOULD.

Thanks,
Vishwas