ESP == MUST  &&   AH == MUST

There is a major problem with ESP/NULL & firewalls, so AH has to be there.
The crap about lack of an API as a reason to downgrade the requirement for
both of these is nothing more than a concession to IETF politics, where 'we
don't define APIs' was the mantra at the point in time this was played out
before.

You will never make progress if you constantly retreat in the face of
resistance...

Tony