At Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:34:37 -0400,
"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On to more critical issues.
> >
> > 2. I and Wes don't agree at all with bullet 2 in section 4 (Future
> > work) of this draft that says:
> >
> > [Extension headers must be processed in any order they appear]

[snip]

> Further evidence for ordering not being fuzzy is shown in the following
> text from section 4.1 of RFC 2460.
>
> [When more than one extension header is used in the same packet, it is
>  recommended that those headers appear in the following order:
>
>            IPv6 header
>            Hop-by-Hop Options header
>            Destination Options header (note 1)
>            Routing header
>            Fragment header
>
>            Authentication header (note 2)
>            Encapsulating Security Payload header (note 2)
>            Destination Options header (note 3)
>            upper-layer header]
>
> The same section goes on to say,
>
> [If and when other extension headers are defined, their ordering
>    constraints relative to the above listed headers must be specified.]

This part of RFC2460 talks about the sender side; I'm afraid you're
referring to the wrong part of RFC2460.  In my understanding, we are
talking about the receiver side (whether it's a final e2e destination,
or a router that has to see some portion of the packet, or an
intermediate node that processes a routing header, or even an evil,
layer-violating filtering/inspection device), and RFC2460 is pretty
generous on this point:

   IPv6 nodes must accept and attempt to process extension headers in
   any order and occurring any number of times in the same packet,
   except for the Hop-by-Hop Options header which is restricted to
   appear immediately after an IPv6 header only.

BTW, if your concern is specifically the position of a hop-by-hop
header, yes, the RFC states very clearly that it (when it appears)
must appear immediately after the IPv6 header.  But I didn't think the
following bullet of draft-krishnan-ipv6-exthdr-01

   o  Extension headers must be processed in any order they appear

intended to amend the restriction.  My interpretation was it meant
headers except the hop-by-hop options header.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.