Since the subject of interoperability was brought up, I couldn't resist
this thought.

In a lot of deployed protocols out there from IETF, or ITU telephony
protocols, or cable docsis protocol, there is one common thread. For
core protocol messages and message headers, the messages are defined in
a specific format that is NOT TLV based. The first reason is because one
wants interoperability for the core protocol messages. One also does not
want a new message proposed every day from someone's backyard. Since, by
deliberation, the core protocol messages do not follow a TLV format, it
is hard for the standard to change in a heartbeat without proper
thinking. I feel the EH in IPv6 is such a core header. I don't want IPv6
to be that flexible that folks grow a new EH in their backyard and start
developing products with the new EH.

I raise the point again on another question. How many new EH's have been
defined new in the past decade that one needs a flexible format for EH?

Further, even I don't have a strong opinion on the TLV format proposed
in this draft nor do I have a big problem with it. But I do have some
basic questions and issues raised above.

Lastly, let's get to the root cause of what needs fixed and stay focused
on that problem and its solution - as one can see, using a TLV based
format for EH doesn't fix the problem. As Markku asked, how does one
know the EH is unknown for a node to even skip such an EH?

Thanks.

Hemant