This is a reminder that  draft-fairhurst-6man-tsvwg-udptt and

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00

are still open and will be discussed at the 6man meeting Wednesday.

Basically, one prescribes no checksum for the "outer" packet in
IPv6 encapsulations, the other a fixed checksum per flow. My
understanding is that this matter is relevant to LISP.

If you are interested, please try to attend as a decision may be made soon.

Sorry, I have a conflict right now. But here is the position of one LISP implementor and a coauthor of the LISP specifications:

From a practical perspective, we prefer that a LISP encapsulator (ITR and PTR) not incurred additional work when encapsulating packets. The main LISP spec indicates:

(1) The UDP checksum in the outer header MUST be set to 0 by an encapsulator.
(2) The decapsulator MUST ignore the UDP checksum.

We stand by this text and see no reason to change it.

There are no practical reasons to use outer header UDP checksums regardless of the 4 combinations of packet types (v4-in-v4, v6-in-v6, v6-in-v4, or v4-or-v6) being forwarded by LISP routers.

Dino

Regards
Marshall