On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Margaret Wasserman<m...@lilacglade.org> wrote:

> Since we have standards-track protocols that indicate that UDP checksums
> must not be zero in IPv6 (for good reasons), I believe that we should use

(enumerate good reasons pls)

> valid UDP checksums in IPv6 outer headers, unless we can provide practical
> (and compelling) reasons why _not_ to do so.  So, what are those reasons?
>
> If we do manage to achieve consensus that it makes sense to zero-out the UDP
> checksum in IPv6 outer headers, there are a number of questions we will have
> to answer...

I thought the question was actually to:
o drop no-checksum packets at transition points (v4 -> v6)
  or
o compute checksums at transition points

I don't think there was discussion about not checksumming ipv6
packets, changing the v6 spec to look more like its predecessor here
isn't a bad thing (I think)... but wasn't part of the original
discussion.

> The problem with eliminating the UDP checksum in UDP over IPv6 is that
> (unlike in IPv4) the IPv6 source and destination addresses are not
> protected.  So, the packet may be corrupted such that it is sent to the
> wrong destination.  When it arrives at the wrong destination, it may be
> processed by an IP stack that is unaware of LISP.

huh? doesn't this mythical distant system have a network stack with
state for UDP packets and isn't it going to just reject the packet
with an icmp port-unreachable? (as happens today on all os's I've
seen)

> We need to consider what will happen if one of these packets is received by
> a non-LISP node.  Are you assuming that non-LISP stacks will simply throw

some list originating node will get a spurious icmp port unreachable.

> We also need to consider the possibility that a packet will be received by a
> different LISP node than the one for which it was intended, or that it will
> arrive at the correct LISP destination with the wrong source address in the
> external header.  What happens in those cases?

lisp, I think, has nonce protections (or application layer
protections) for this sort of mishap, it has to  in order to deal with
normal security issues.

-chris