Iljitsch,

On Aug 4, 2009, at 05:24 MDT, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 30 jul 2009, at 18:49, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

We need to consider what will happen if one of these packets is received by a non-LISP node. Are you assuming that non-LISP stacks will simply throw away these packets, because they have zero (and therefore invalid) UDP checksums? That's only a good assumption if we assume that LISP is the _only_ protocol that will allow the use of zero checksums.

The logic behind the UDP header in LISP is to allow effective ECMP load balancing. In IPv6 you don't need a UDP header for that, because you can hash on the flow label rather than port numbers. So no need for a UDP header -> no 0 checksums with LISP over IPv6.

The above assumes that a host actually imposes a flow-label on outgoing IPv6 packets. My understanding is that the flow-label isn't widely (if at all?) implemented, by default, in hosts; however, I would welcome corrections in my understanding with a list of host implementations that have the flow-label enabled by default.

Second, I'll check around some more, but with respect to most routers I'm familiar with (particularly, MPLS LSR's that will be carrying IPv6 over MPLS inside a SP's ASN), they *also* don't use the IPv6 flow- label as an input key to calculate a hash to determine the outgoing component-link. However, they *do* currently use the Source and Destination Ports of the Transport Layer protocol as input keys to calculate a hash-key to determine the outgoing component-link/path. Since I don't work at these router vendors I can't explain the rationale for not using the flow-label as an input key to an ECMP or LAG load-balancing hash; however, I would suspect that if the flow- label isn't well-defined nor is it widely implemented in hosts, then it makes no sense for router vendors to try to include it in their hash-algorithms for ECMP/LAG load-balancing.

So, in summary, I support UDP/IPvX encapsulation for LISP, (and other similar protocols that may appear as "macro-flows" in the core of a network), as it's the only well-known method, available today, for achieving load-balancing across ECMP or LAG paths that are widely deployed in today's networks and will continue to exist forever, (even with 100GE "just around the corner").

-shane