On 30 jul 2009, at 18:49, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

We need to consider what will happen if one of these packets is received by a non-LISP node. Are you assuming that non-LISP stacks will simply throw away these packets, because they have zero (and therefore invalid) UDP checksums? That's only a good assumption if we assume that LISP is the _only_ protocol that will allow the use of zero checksums.

The logic behind the UDP header in LISP is to allow effective ECMP load balancing. In IPv6 you don't need a UDP header for that, because you can hash on the flow label rather than port numbers. So no need for a UDP header -> no 0 checksums with LISP over IPv6.