Thomas,

When a stub router connects a stub network to a link,
it needs to somehow be provisioned with one or more
default routes pointing to other routers on the link
that can forward packets on toward a provider network.
The normal IPv6 ND mechanism for this is RS/RA, but
if the stub router were to send an RS the routers that
receive it would immediately set 'isrouter' to FALSE
and we don't want that.

At the same time, the stub router may need to publish
its prefixes with other routers, and it can do so by
including RFC4191 Route Information Options in the
RAs that it sends.

A valid question is why not just run a routing protocol
between all the routers on the link? That may be the
preferred method in some cases, but when there are many,
many routers on the link the control overhead would be
excessive when only a few default routes are needed.
Also, discovery of other routers on the link in order
to bootstrap neighbor relationships may be difficult
to automate on links such as NBMA.

But the simplest explanation is that RFC4861 currently
says that routers send RAs irrespective of whether/not
they are authoritative for the link. So, this spec
updates RFC4861 by specifying appropriate limits on
the information stub routers may include in their RAs.

Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com