On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:50:51PM +0100, Dan Wing wrote:

> Your email from January 28:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg11215.html, summarized:
>
>    1) Mandate that the text representation is <SOMETHING>
>    and never changes after this.
>
>    2) Mandate that the text representation is <SOMETHING>
>    but take into account new WKPs.
>
>    3) Mandate that the text representation is <SOMETHING>
>    but require that external mechanisms help recognize
>    even dynamically assigned IPv4/IPv6 prefixes.
>
>    4) As above, but specify a mandatory external mechanism.

My main interest is textual comparability of addresses coming from
potentially many different sources. If I can compare addresses safely
only if I know some context information communicated out of band or I
have to configure all sources to produce the same, I feel somewhat
uneasy. My preference thus is 1), I might be OK with 2) if the
frequency of the introduction of new WKPs is very small.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany