On 02/20/10 22:30, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> 4.2.4.  Exception to the "::" Shortening Rule
>>
>>  When it is necessary to record an address with consecutive 16 bit 0
>>  fields without the use of the "::" symbol, for example in a database,
>>  each such field SHOULD be represented with one, and only one zero. For
>>  example 2001:db8:0:0:0:0:0:1. However when the address is written out
>>  for human consumption the "::" MUST be used as described in the sections
>>  above.
>
> If the field in the database is text-based, then I think we really
> should adhere to the same rule.  If the field uses anything other than
> text, then I think it's out of scope.

If the address is stored in one chunk I'm sympathetic to your line of
reasoning, and as I said in my post I realize that including the section
I wrote isn't a slam dunk. However I'm also concerned about the scenario
where each 16-bit field is stored in its own database field. If that
qualifies as out of scope by your definition above, that's Ok too.

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads