Hi Mark,

On 2010-04-15 09:59, Mark Smith wrote:
> Hi Brian and Sheng,
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:25 +1200
> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is completely revised from the proposal we presented
>> in Anaheim. This version allows locally defined use of
>> the flow label in a simpler way, as the discussion suggested.
>> It's still quite a dense read, but we believe that if this was
>> adopted, it would open the way to actually using the flow label.
>>

> I've had a read through it, although not a comprehensive one, which
> I'll endeavour to do in the next day or so.
>
> I'm wondering about this change for a couple of reasons:
>
> --
>    2.  If this is done, all packets in a given flow MUST be given the
>        same flow label value.  A flow is defined in this case as all
>        packets with the same source and destination IPv6 addresses and
>        port numbers and the same transport protocol number, i.e., the
>        same final Next Header value [RFC2460].  This rule constrains the
>        definition of a flow in RFC 3697 for the specific case that a
>        router sets the flow label.  However, it does not constrain the
>        bits of the flow label in any particular way.
> --
>
> Firstly, if the IPv6 packets are fragments, the transport layer header
> may not be available. I think that would mean that although these
> packets fragments are part of a flow, they wouldn't have their flow
> label changed.

Yes, certainly, if the router inserting the flow label is stateless.
I honestly don't see a way round that and it's probably better to
list it as a limitation. It probably doesn't matter - anyone who is
deploying a local scheme for the flow label is presumably able to
also deploy a non-fragmenting network.

> Secondly, for IPv6 packets with a number of extension headers before
> the transport layer header, I think this rule could impact forwarding
> performance. While I'm not sure if it is that practical, however it'd
> be good if flow classification could be done using only fixed headers
> in the IPv6 packet, or a fixed portion of the fixed header bits.

I will send a separate message on that point.

> I suppose partly that comes down to what a 'flow' is. In some contexts,
> it is definitely a transport layer connection. In others, e.g. an MPLS
> network, I think it could be seen to be all packets that match a
> Forwarding Equivalence Class. If it was possible to use a FEC to set
> the flow label, once the packet has traversed the MPLS network, and the
> MPLS labels are stripped off, the flow label that was set due to the
> FEC would be preserved, which might be useful. Is there an opportunity
> to make the definition of a flow a bit more general, and then for allow
> for the choice of different packet classification methods to be used to
> define a flow, based on context e.g. transport layer connection in some
> contexts, MPLS FEC, QoS/Diff Serv classifiers etc. in others?

And that's an even wider question. I'm inclined to duck it, or at
least to assert that it's a much wider question than 6man can tackle.

   Brian