Hi Brian,

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:13:04 +1200
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On 2010-04-15 09:59, Mark Smith wrote:
> > Hi Brian and Sheng,
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:25 +1200
> > Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

<snip>

> > I suppose partly that comes down to what a 'flow' is. In some contexts,
> > it is definitely a transport layer connection. In others, e.g. an MPLS
> > network, I think it could be seen to be all packets that match a
> > Forwarding Equivalence Class. If it was possible to use a FEC to set
> > the flow label, once the packet has traversed the MPLS network, and the
> > MPLS labels are stripped off, the flow label that was set due to the
> > FEC would be preserved, which might be useful. Is there an opportunity
> > to make the definition of a flow a bit more general, and then for allow
> > for the choice of different packet classification methods to be used to
> > define a flow, based on context e.g. transport layer connection in some
> > contexts, MPLS FEC, QoS/Diff Serv classifiers etc. in others?
>
> And that's an even wider question. I'm inclined to duck it, or at
> least to assert that it's a much wider question than 6man can tackle.

Are you generally trying to avoid it because it would appear to be an
implied IETF definition of a flow, rather than just the IPv6
definition? Or is it to avoid having to start defining the a possibly
large set of flow definitions?

I think that as the field is an IPv6 one, IPv6 can have a position on
what it considers a flow to be.

I had a bit of a think about a more general definition of what a flow
is and came up with this:

"a set of packets that have a common attribute, or common relationship
with another entity"

with common attribute being things like field (single or multiple
) values, optional fields (e.g. a set of extension headers), same
result of a hash of fields etc.

A common relationship might be the same MPLS FEC, BGP NEXT_HOP, router
incoming interface, destination AS etc.

Looking at the definitions of flows in the IPv6 RFC, and in RFC3697, I
think the above general definition would encompass those as well.

If that was an acceptable general definition, then this draft could
also then define one specific instance of a flow definition, namely the
fields used to identify a transport layer connection, and state that
other instances of applicable flow definitions may be defined in other
RFCs, including non-IPv6 ones.

Regards,
Mark.