Hi Mark,

> Are you generally trying to avoid it because it would appear to be an
> implied IETF definition of a flow, rather than just the IPv6
> definition? Or is it to avoid having to start defining the a possibly
> large set of flow definitions?

Actually, because I have enough email to deal with right now anyway :-)

Your proposed definition looks reasonable, but the IPFIX people have
a rather different definition:

"A flow is defined as a set of IP packets passing an observation point
 in the network during a certain time interval.  All packets belonging
 to a particular flow have a set of common properties....
 A flow is considered to be expired if no packet of this flow has been
 observed for a given timeout interval" [RFC3917]

The crucial difference is the tiemout. In the observational world
of IPFIX, a flow is deemed to end when there is a certain period of
silence. So a stop-start flow meeting your definition might be
broken up into multiple flows by IPFIX. That's where things get vague.

Regards
   Brian